The Turning Point
If ever there was a pivotal week in my confidence regarding my running abilities, this was it. And today’s 17 mile run proved it.
I wasn’t excited about it, but once I got started I felt great pretty much the entire time. The weather was perfect, if not a bit windy. I picked a hilly course and had dropped water and Gatorade along the route.
Close to five miles in, I realized that it was feasible for me to PR my 10K time. “That’s stupid,” I thought. “Don’t do that on a training run.” But I was feeling good and went for it. I ended up PRing 10K by over two minutes and finally broke an hour. 59:07.
I continued on. Just telling myself to keep going. Get through it. Get as many miles in as possible before looping back to the car. Again, I noticed my time and pace were good and I was close to the half-marathon distance and close to another PR. So, yeah. I took over three minutes off of that today too. 2:07:49.
The last two miles were tough and I think a lot of it was mental because I had stopped my Garmin to wait for traffic and ran about a quarter mile before realizing it. Totally threw me, but I trudged on, just trying to take them easy.
Overall time was 2:48:03 for the entire 17 (plus probably 2:30ish for the .25 that the Garmin was paused) which ends up being a 9:53/mile average - a first sub-10:00 average for me for a run this long. And I ran almost the entire time, except for hydration/fuel stops and occasional traffic.
To recap, this week I PRed my times for 1 mile, 10K, AND 13.1.
I have lofty goals for NOLA. And I think they’re attainable. But trust me when I say that next week’s 18 is going to be much slower.
Also, I may have cussed my foam roller when I got home. Excuse me while I eat all the things.
- ceebeedoeslife likes this
- activelybrook likes this
- westcoastrunner likes this
- blahtobadass likes this
- tinkerbellrun likes this
- jrfred likes this
- 123runner likes this
- chrisbiketri said: Congratulations on your amazing run!
- mar-kicksass said: WOW, way to go! I will be thinking of this post when I do my long run tomorrow. :)
- nicolegetsinshape likes this
- gilliansquirtle likes this
- fitnessandfood likes this
- run-doozer-run likes this
- runningwithguts likes this
- fitterisbetter likes this
- runsforredvelvet said: You kick ass!! :)
- runsforredvelvet likes this
- chrisrunsoldschool said: awesome dude. What I great feeling. Can I ask, when did you start running? (I want to get where you are at some day)
- ironphenix likes this
- chrystimoreorless likes this
- lifeinsteps likes this
- littlemissyoullgofar likes this
- betternikki said: Fantastic run!!
- courtneyloveslife likes this
- hbrunnergirl likes this
- 3quartersalice likes this
- andjuliesaid likes this
- strengthgained said: Way to push yourself!
- strengthgained likes this
- pickyourhard said: Dude… you rock. (I couldn’t come up with anything better to say than that, because you’ve been killing it this week.)
- pickyourhard likes this
- robownslife likes this
- robownslife said: that’s really awesome smit! you’re making REAL progress with your running and it’s refreshing to see!
- mommyslosingitnow likes this
- lizlivinglife likes this
- tribander said: Awesome!!!!
- uhoh-janellio likes this
- samishealthy likes this
- victoriafindslife likes this
- lindsaydoeslife likes this
- inasoutherlydirection likes this
- lifechangeneededaisle3 likes this
- michaelontherun said: Awesome.
- justbrooksy likes this
- michaelontherun likes this
- x-opher said: You’re a killer. Queen. Gunpowder. Gelatine. Dynamite… with a laser beam.
- shawnwich likes this
- pheidippi-dissertator likes this
- thisfearlesslife said: Such a badass. When you think you can, you will. It’s that simple. NOLA better look out.
- dietmortik0 likes this